The decision to hire a personal injury attorney is typically preceded by a difficult, sometimes even traumatic, situation. You may have been involved in a motor vehicle accident, developed a serious medical condition after taking a prescription medication, or slipped on the icy walkway of a local business. Injuries suffered due to the negligence of another can be doubly challenging. In addition to the pain and potential financial consequences of a serious injury, you may be experiencing an overwhelming sense of anger and frustration. If negligence played a role in your injuries, you may be entitled to compensation for related expenses, including medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, and transportation costs. However, the process of filing a personal injury claim can be complicated and confusing. Experienced legal help can make all the difference in the world. Contact a Massachusetts Personal Injury Attorney Today.
Hiring the right legal counsel can make or break your case. Although it is in your best interest to consult with an attorney as soon as possible following an accident or injury, blindly rushing into a decision is not wise. If you’ve been injured in any type of accident, begin searching for an attorney immediately. However, do your homework. The checklist below can help you determine if a certain lawyer is the right fit for you and your particular case.
Hiring an Attorney Checklist
- Ask around: Get a list of attorney names by asking trusted friends, family members, and co-workers. It’s true that a particular attorney might be a great fit for your aunt Harriet and a terrible choice for you, but referrals still help. They narrow down your list of candidates and give you greater insight into a certain attorney’s personality, style, strengths, and weaknesses.
- Do your research: When you’ve gotten some good referrals, create a shortlist of potential candidates and do your homework on them.
- Schedule an initial consultation with 2 or 3 candidates: Once you have narrowed your search down to 2 or 3 candidates, set up a face-to-face consultation. Personal connection is key in this first meeting. Even if an attorney is excellent, it can spell disaster if you and he or she don’t have good professional chemistry. You may be working very closely together for an extended period of time. The attorney you choose should seem trustworthy, confident, and competent, and you should like each other.
- Ask the right questions: How long have they been practicing? Do they focus solely on personal injury law or do they practice in other areas as well? If so, what percentage of their practice is dedicated to personal injury? Although many law firms have several different areas of practice, the attorney you work closely with should be primarily focused on accident and injury cases. This is a complex and constantly evolving area of law, and simply ‘dabbling’ in it is rarely sufficient.
- Bring all necessary documentation: Don’t waste time. You should bring any pertinent documents, bills, and records to your initial consultation. These may include medical records, medical bills, lost income details, insurance company correspondence, and police reports. If you decide to hire this attorney, he or she will be ahead of the game if they have this documentation on day one.
- Altman & Altman, LLP – One of Boston’s Premier Personal Injury Law Firms.
Accidents and injuries can have a lifelong impact on the victim, as well as on his or her entire family. Physically debilitating and emotionally traumatic injuries can result in extensive medical bills and lost wages. If you’ve been injured due to another’s negligence, get the help you need to get back on your feet. Call and ask to speak to one of our partner’s Steven or David Altman for a comprehensive case analysis. At Altman & Altman, LLP, we have an impressive track record of obtaining the highest compensation possible for our clients. Contact us today for a free consultation about your case.