The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) investigated the potential link between certain defective breast implants and higher instances of cancer. In July 2019, the FDA issued a statement requesting that Allergan, the manufacturer of BIOCELL textured breast implants and tissue expanders, recall all of their BIOCELL line of products. The FDA found that people with BIOCELL implants and/or tissue expanders were six times more likely to develop breast implant-associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL).
If you or a loved one was diagnosed with BIA-ALCL and after having BIOCELL implants and/or tissue expanders, you may be entitled to compensation for the damages that you’ve experienced. The attorneys at Altman & Altman have the experience and resources to support you. Contact us today by phone at 617.492.3000 or toll free at 800.481.6199 for a free consultation to discuss the details of your case.
Which Allergan products were recalled?
The list of Allergan products that were recalled because of an increased risk of BIA-ALCL includes:
- Natrelle saline breast implant styles 168, 363, 468
- Natrelle and McGhan 410 breast implant styles LL, LM, LF, LX, ML, MM, MF, MX, FL, FM, FF, FX
- Natrelle and McGhan 410 Soft Touch breast implant styles LL, LM, LF, LX, ML, MM, MF, MX, FL, FM, FF, FX
- Natrelle 510 Dual-Gel styles LX, MX, FX
- Natrelle Inspira breast implants, styles TRL, TRLP, TRM, TRF, TRX, TSL, TSLP, TSM, TSF, TSX, TCL, TCLP, TCM, TCF, TCX
- Natrelle and McGhan Round Gel Implants, styles 110, 110 Soft Touch, 120, 120 Soft Touch
- Natrelle Komuro breast implants styles KML, KMM, KLL, and KLM
- Natrelle Ritz Princess breast implant styles RML, RMM, RFL, RFM
- Natrelle 150 Full Height and Short Height double lumen implants
- Natrelle 133 tissue expanders with and without suture tabs: styles 133FV, 133MV, 133LV, 133MX, 133SX, 133SV, T-133FV, T-133MV, T-133LV, T-133MX, T-133SX, T-133SV, 133FV-T, 133MV-T, 133LV-T, 133MX-T, 133SX-T, 133SV-T
- Natrelle 133 Plus tissue expander styles 133P-FV, 133P-MV, 133P-LV, 133P-MX, 133P-SX, 133P-SV, T-133P-FV, T-133P-MV, T-133P-LV, T-133P-MX, T-133P-SX, T-133P-SV, 133P-FV-T, 133P-MV-T, 133P-LV-T, 133P-MX-T, 133P-SX-T, 133P-SV-T
What is BIA-ALCL?
BIA-ALCL is a form of cancer that affects the lymphatic system and develops in the scar tissue that surrounds a textured breast implant. In most cases when the cancer is caught early, BIA-ALCL can be successfully treated. If left untreated, BIA-ALCL can spread to other areas of the body and in the worst cases, can cause death.
What are symptoms of BIA-ALCL?
Some of the common symptoms of people who have BIA-ALCL include:
- Breast asymmetry
- Changes in breast appearance
- Hardening of the breast
- Lumps in the breast or armpit area
- Swelling around the implant
- Pain around the implant
- Weight Loss
- Rash or unusual itching
- Swollen lymph nodes
These symptoms typically develop between 7 – 10 years after the product is implanted; however, some patients have reported that they developed BIA-ALCL symptoms earlier. Continue reading