Disclaimer - By publishing this information on this Web site, the Boston, Massachusetts law firm of Altman & Altman LLP is not claiming to represent any clients or cases mentioned here. The content provided is designed to inform readers and is not intended as legal advice.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Cited in Deaths of Father, His Seven Children

Rodney Todd and his seven kids died yesterday from what police say appears to be an incident of carbon monoxide poisoning. Todd, 36, purchased a generator after the power was shut off to their residence for lack of payment. The names and ages of the children: Tybria, 6, Zycheim, 7, Tyania, 9, Tybree, 10, Tykira, 12, Cameron, 13, and Tynijuiza, 15.

Police discovered the bodies of Todd and his kids after a co-worker reported not having seen him for a number of days. The generator is the suspected source of the carbon monoxide leak. A family member said that Todd bought the generator to keep the family warm.

The Delmarva Power Company was subpoenaed to confirm exactly when the power was cut. Unless an affidavit has been submitted to the Public Service Commission, Maryland law does not allow utility companies to shut off electric service because of lack for payment from November 1 through March 31. According to the company, it cut the power at the family’s home on March 25 not because of unpaid bills but because a stolen electric meter was being used at the residence.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, between 1999 and 2010 there were 430 deaths in the U.S. a year caused by accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission says about 8,000 to 15,000 people are hospitalized annually for CO poisoning. Carbon monoxide has no odor or color or taste and excessive exposure to this gas often goes undetected until it’s too late.

Symptoms of CO poisoning include headaches, problems breathing, dizziness, tiredness, nausea, impaired judgment, memory problems, coordination, and unconsciousness. It is important to install CO alarms for instant detection.

Please contact our Boston carbon monoxide poisoning lawyers to explore your legal options. There may be grounds pursue a Massachusetts personal injury or wrongful death case from a negligent building owner, landlord, or the manufacturer of a product that caused the CO leak. Property owners can be held liable for premises liability if they failed to ensure that a building, apartment, office, or home was free of carbon monoxide poisoning hazards.

Delmarva Power: Service Cut Due to Illegal Meter, Delmarva Now, April 7, 2015

Relatives: Man, kids died from carbon monoxide poisoning, Boston Herald, April 7, 2015

 

More Blog Posts:

Best Western Sued Over Couple’s Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Death, Boston Injury Lawyer Blog, February 13, 2015

First Risperdal Injury Trial Against Johnson & Johnson Results in $2.5M Verdict, Drug Injury Lawyers Blog, March 5, 2o15

Semi-Truck Crash Lawsuit Cites Cell Phone Driving in Pedestrian Accident That Killed A Woman and Her Two Children, Boston Car Accident Lawyer Blog, April 6, 2015