Choosing the right daycare center for your child is one of the most important decisions you will make during their early years. You want them to have fun and be happy, but their safety and well-being is the primary concern. It is crucial that parents do their due diligence by researching facilities, performing their own inspections, and interviewing staff.
Tips for Choosing the Right Daycare Center
The tips below will help to ensure that you choose the right daycare center, the first time.
- Stop in for a visit and observe how the staff interact with the children, and each other. Are the caregivers on the floor, playing with kids, holding the babies, smiling, and appearing to enjoy their job? Are they friendly and polite when interacting with other staff members, or do they seem agitated or annoyed with them? Is the staff-to-child ration appropriate? If you see one caregiver and 10 toddlers, this could indicate a serious problem.
- What is the staff turnover rate? Stability is important to children, so you want a daycare center with committed staff who aren’t constantly being replaced by newcomers. Your child may become confused and anxious if he routinely experiences staff turnover. A Boston personal injury lawyer can help you determine how to proceed if your child has been injured at a daycare center.
- Check to make sure the center is licensed and In MA, daycare centers must be licensed by the state. While accreditations aren’t required by law, special credentials from reputable organizations may indicate the facility’s commitment to a high level of care.
- Before making your final decision, make a surprise visit. Dropping in unannounced may seem unfair, but it’s important to see how things run when staff are not expecting anyone. Don’t expect everything to be perfect. If you have small children, you know how messy even one can be, let alone 10. But the environment should appear safe and hygienic. Toys all over the place isn’t a problem, but filthy children wandering around with diapers that need changed may not be a good sign. Also check to ensure that proper steps have been taken to childproof the area.
- Ask the person in charge about special policies, such as how they handle discipline, emergency care, special diets, and nap time. There should be a policy in place to address all of these situations. A MA daycare negligence attorney can help you recover damages if your child has been injured due to another’s negligence.
Signs of Daycare Neglect
The following warning signs may indicate improper supervision or neglect:
- Your child is frequently extremely thirsty at pick-up time
- Your child frequently asks to go to the bathroom at pick-up time
- Cuts and scrapes that go unnoticed or untreated
- Frequent injuries
- Diaper rashes
If you are concerned that your child isn’t being properly supervised or cared for at daycare, it’s important to take immediate action. Although the signs above can occur even with proper care, it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
Altman & Altman, LLP – Personal Injury Law Firm Serving Boston and the Surrounding Areas
If your child has been injured due to daycare negligence or abuse, the skilled legal team at Altman & Altman, LLP can help. We have been protecting the rights of accident and injury victims for more than 50 years. Children are the most precious, and vulnerable, among us. When the negligence of those entrusted with their care results in harm, it can be emotionally and financially devastating. At Altman & Altman, LLP, our compassionate, knowledgeable attorneys will review the details of your case to determine the best way to move forward, and we’ll be by your side throughout the entire process. Don’t go through this difficult time alone, we can help. Contact Altman & Altman, LLP today for a free and confidential consultation about your case.